October 7, 2007

Flying Saucer

Alas, another piece of dinnerware smashed into giblets on the absolutely FABULOUS porcelain tile floor in the living room.

And yes, before you get all righteously angry - we DO eat in the living room. We also eat in the kitchen, the bedrooms and sometimes out under the porch or out in the back yard. No dishes are left with science project worthy food. Our kindly four-legged pal takes care of any unwanted (or unguarded) leftovers.

What happened was, as if this is some sort of justification, the saucer, which had previously held the brownies that my sweet husband made while I was out yesterday (visiting with the delightful Amish who live north of us for the sole intent of coming home with winter squash and butter), was accidentally edged off of my desk and flew onto the aforementioned flooring.

Corell + porcelain tile = razor sharp and needle-like giblets. This is the new math played out in all of its violence and carnage.

Now, we are down to one lonely little saucer. One wonders if it is quietly crying in the cabinet and wondering if the sad lot of its' fellows will soon befall it, too. I'd like to say it won't.

I'd really like to say that because it's a nice little saucer. But based on my track record and the record of the other occupants of this house who are appliance slayers and glass breakers, I am afraid the prognosis isn't good.

At this point, the remaining saucer has the life expectancy of a piece of crockery at a Greek wedding. And in this house, we don't even have to wait until it is a big and fat wedding before the broom and dustpan are pressed into action to rescue the hapless toes of the barefoot contessa of this domicile.

So we bid a sad farewell to yet another piece of the dishware that makes eating go so nicely. I am assuming in short order that we will be eating directly out of the pans which are held over the sink that holds the soapy water that will wash them as soon as we finish eating.

That should eliminate eating all over the house. Maybe. I actually believe those nice little handles will simply make it easier to carry the new stainless steel "dishware" into the various rooms that are home to our dining.

One of these days, I'll buy new dishes. But I am no longer deluded suffering under the belief that I need daily dishes that are 'pretty'. I am thinking about buying camping dishes. They are guaranteed to hold up to the rigors of life on the trail, so they shouldn't quibble about living in my cabinets and finding their way to the floor now and again.

It won't be stylish, but it will be functional.

And that's about as good as it gets when it comes to dinnerware.

We wanted to be the respectable kind who never broke dishes. We started out that way as newlyweds. Okay, we started out that way right after we swept up the first set of 4 drinking glasses we broke while moving into our first apartment. But sadly, we are simply the sort that say "Sorry!" and sweep up the mess only to toss it into the trash on the way to get another brownie.

By the way, the brownies were really good. It's a shame I don't have enough saucers to go around or I'd share them with you.

Yeah. Right.

Like I would EVER share brownies!

No comments: