October 1, 2007

Snap, Crackle, Pop

Life's little emergencies.

It was an ordinary Saturday filled with the wonder and joy of housework and a bit of yardwork.

On my way back into the house, I noticed the wheelchair ramp was slightly off kilter. Just enough to make a gap and a bump that was becoming increasingly more difficult to get the front forks over while coming into the house.

Was it earth shattering? No, but it was a minor annoyance.

Then I tried to move it.

I want to get one thing perfectly clear. I am by no means a frail retiring woman who requires the man of the house to do everything. Besides which, he was at work.

I should have waited.

It all seemed simple until the ramp and I didn't see eye to eye. And I broke my wrist.

Not too excruciating at first, just a snap, a crackle and a pop and it was all over but the crying. Those didn't happen until Sunday when the swelling and discoloration set in.

I attended choir practice high as a kite.

I wonder if anyone noticed.

The X-rays today were singularly undramatic. But nonetheless, I get to sport a nifty 'flesh colored' wrist brace for several weeks. They don't cast stuff like this much anymore. Plus, I get to carefully wash it so that I don't become a walking petri dish in the works.

The new prescription medicine my husband brought in for my pain and suffering is a 3 day wonder.

And no, I will NOT share it with you.

If you want any, you will have to go break your own wrist.

No comments: