December 9, 2007

Notes and Music

We warmed up for the programs last night (we performed three times!) and had our photographs taken for the CD sleeve.

The wise sound engineers are going to take a 'best of' approach to our recording and have taped EVERY SINGLE SOUNDBYTE. They will take the best rendition of each number and put it onto the CD of our event.

That all sounds so very professional and so NOT like a church choir and orchestra of volunteers.

But surprisingly, with the noteable exception of the 5th concert in the series thus far, the musicians, singers and narrator have all risen to the occassion magnificently. Of course, that is just my perspective from where I sit.

However, apocryphal evidence and 4 standing ovations and a 'gee, I guess we oughta' should indicate that we have indeed born witness of that baby born in a manger who literally changed the world.

Funny thing is, I notice some of the folks around me reaching for handkerchiefs from time to time. They have talked about feeling so much of the spirit of the music and I realize that I haven't applied myself to the rehearsal at home process as much as I should have or could have. During the prayer before we started last night, one of the men asked that we be recognized and blessed by the Lord for all of our effort and hard work in preparing for this event.

I can't say honestly that I have 'burned the midnight oil' over my music. Nor can I honestly say I have knocked myself out burning the oil during the daylight, either.

To be sure, I have rehearsed my music, taking it walking and to the gym with me and singing along while pumping iron. (don't laugh - it keeps me in rhythm!)

But I wonder what the criteria for others in the choir is regarding daily rehearsal: how long each day do they rehearse? Are they constantly playing their rehearsal CD or listening to tracks downloaded to their mp3 players or iPods?

Is the frequency a matter of multiple short rehearsals all day long, or do they lay out specific amounts of time to rehearse indepth?

So the words in his prayer petitioning the Lord for His Divine blessings over our concerts has become an opportunity for me to assess just how vital I intend to be both in this particular setting and in my life as a whole.

Having been in the percussion section for a majority of my youth, I have come to a rather understated understanding: it doesn't matter how many notes you get to play. It only matters that you have practiced them, and, most importantly, that you come in at the right time and stop at the right time.

Without the proper time frame, no matter how lovely your part, it creates a jangling dissonance that is hard to ignore. And even the indulgence of a kind audience will not be forgiving of a program lacking in substance.

How hard it is to combine the vocal talents and musical skills of a roomfull of people! Everyone has internal metronomes that are set to a tempo only they can hear, or appreciate. When I was in school years ago, my band director said percussionists have only two tempos. Faster and stopped.

I have learned over my lifetime thus far that there is an element of truth in that statement. During these rehearsals, we have learned that a lot of people equate quiet volume with slow tempo. Needless to say, the practice sessions have been exciting from time to time as our patient and skilled director coaxes us along.

My prayer for tonight is that we will all be singing the right notes and from the same sheet of music.

And if that occurs, it will be enough.

No comments: