March 7, 2008

Friday Night at home

Back in the day, it was considered the height of sorrow if you got to Friday night without a date.

Today it seems more like a relief.

I know who I will be spending my time with and whether we are home watching a movie or just spending time hanging out reading or playing computer games, we can have fun without going somewhere to do it.

I remember the days when it was unfashionable to sit at home on the weekend. It was like being branded as some sort of social pariah to have an empty date book and no man to pick you up for so much as an ice cream.

While I miss some of the excitement of the dating scene, I definitely do not miss the agony of hoping someone, anyone would ask you out. Thankfully, when we decide to leave our cocoon for an actual evening out, I am happy to be on the arm of my husband. Sometimes we go to dinner and a movie and sometimes we just walk around window shopping in the mall while eating jelly beans.

One time, after a particularly trying week, our family opted to bankrupt our budget and actually go to the movies during the evening hours to see a new release of some fantasy/sci-fi/epic. Though I am appreciative of the opportunity to go out with my husband and family, there are times that other concerns outweigh the entertainment being offered.


My husband is still incredulous that I could fall asleep during the battle scenes and have no remembrance of the movie that he was so excited to see. I was there in body if not in spirit. Surely that checks off at least one little box on the to do list?

Just so no misconceptions develop, when I drag my husband to some 'chick movie' and anticipate a wonderful evening, I am generally rewarded with a deer in the headlights expression that gradually fades into a dull, glazed, slack-jawed appearance that solidifies into a totally blank slate before the snoring begins. And the snoring can be while his eyes are still open.

For the record, that is somewhat disconcerting.

To be fair, since I snore myself, I can't say much about the snoring, but I draw the line at doing so with my eyes open. That is just not decent.

So here we sit watching one of the war movies we own on DVD and recalling how much we need to do tomorrow providing that we are not snowed in by the predicted Alabama blizzard.

It's not likely.

When they scream about the snow too much, it simply goes somewhere else.

I'm just glad I am stocked up on bread, eggs and milk - just in case. It could make for a very interesting Saturday should we truly be snowed or iced in.

No comments: