June 13, 2008

News Junkie

As a self-proclaimed news junkie, I can boast a few files in my favorites list that are crammed full of my news sites which I reference every single day, multiple times a day.

I totally realize that this obsession could be deemed strange to people who don't like the news. It's just that they don't understand what I am looking for as I search the news sites.

I like the human interest stories from all over the world and the stories about animals and babies and the stories about bad guys 'getting it'.

I enjoy reading about the political scene because when I cast my sacred ballot, I don't wish to do so as an unitiated, unwashed novice who goes blindly into the booth to check off whatever without much though.

I firmly believe that I have to pick the candidates that best reflect my views and then hound them to death with emails of my positions in order to be part of the solutions I want to happen for my family and for my friends. It has been estimated that for every email or letter that our representatives in this great experiment in democracy receive, that they count it as 1,ooo people who feel the same way but who didn't take the time to write or call.

I also pay attention to the news items about sports and the level of sportsmanship that is exemplified at various events. It bothers me that people who are being PAID to be good sports often act more juvenile than the children who hang their photos all over their bedroom walls hoping to be 'just like them' when they get older.

Most importantly in the news, I read each day hoping to see signs that we are worthy of the redemption that we THINK we deserve.

I confess my addiction freely because I know others who secretly suffer from the same sort of compulsion on their own 'favorites list' each day.

But my favorite news bit comes from finding out that people who never give God Almighty a momentary pause tend to hit their knees during a time of crisis as quickly as the pew sitters who fill churches and sanctuary benches worldwide. He is always there even when we are not.

It sort of gives me hope that our world can yet change and turn our hearts back to our Father.

While there is still time.

No comments: