July 13, 2008

I need a vacation

Yes, you read right.

I need a vacation.

A vacation FROM the vacation.

Is there some secret scripture of which I remain blissfully unaware that says on the eighth day He did laundry? I think not!

Yet, I look into my laundry room and see overflowing hampers and stuff piled in the floor despite the fact that we DID do laundry on the road.

Thank heavens there is a door on the laundry room and I can draw it mercifully to a close!

There is an entropy that applies to laundry that defies scientific and mathematical rationale. Though people will miss the message unless they are the primary caregiver to the hampers that inhabit their home, dirty laundry multiplies and clean laundry divided. Ironing adds and hangers for said ironing subtract. While I have yet to see spontaneous combustion on a basket of dirty clothing, I am willing to help it along with a generous portion of 'boy scout water' and a lit match.

Attending church today was an exercise more of routine obedience than true faithful desire. (If that comes as a shock to you, you are not a regular reader!) At one point during the meetings, I felt like I was about to roll out of my seat and into the floor. Seeking out Jared's wheelchair and the bag strapped to the back, I fully expected to reach in and extract the little nutritional bar I had stashed in the front pouch to prevent death to to plummeting blood sugar levels.

Reaching expectantly into the pouch, I found everything BUT the delicious little morsel and was instead reduced to begging snacks from mothers will small children, who, by the way, looked at me like some sort of ogre who descended upon them from my lair which was littered with Snickers wrappers. Oh, that would be the CHILDREN who looked at me like that and not the mothers. They were all full of the milk of human kindness, presumptively because they recognize the signs of bleary eyed exhaustion when they see it and infused me with cookies, nuts and a conversational uplift regarding the relative merits of skipping church. How much is too much before people really notice and say something snide or can you get away with wearing dark glasses, napping on the back row and attending every week?

Eventually, I made my way back into the chapel somewhat more fortified to finish out the day only to discover that I had to stay afterwards for a presidency meeting.

At this point I asked, "Can I just lay on the table and sleep while you meet and will it 'count'?

They said no and I was compelled to stay awake and take notes.

If I could spell the sound that you make when you blow a raspberry, you could insert it here. Do that mentally anyway. You'll feel better.

My point is that we leave home to take to the open road or the friendly skies in search of that elusive rest we have heard so much about in 'another place'. We act like maniacs to get there only to discover that if we didn't bring it WITH us, there isn't any rest where we have gone anyway.

I don't know about you, but my cabinets and cupboards aren't stashed with selections of naps arrayed in the shelf like fine wines. Mine seem to be littered instead with a haphazard arrangement of partially done projects which hang over my guilty head like the sword of Damocles while awaiting final disposition in a crowded courtroom filled with repeat offenders.

But the good news is that I don't have anything on my calendar tomorrow. I might get the wash done or I may simply take a nap all day long.

Nah.

Jared would never sit or lie still for that. The boy needs his movies to be changed and he likes to eat once in a while. It was a nice thought though.

Maybe instead I'll take a nap now. Right now. My eyes are so heavy . . .

lakahfohnef;o'g/UIds;lkajdwhbc;fuoIHWEFOI28TRPIO8T2gbbbbo6/:p om<

Uh Oh.

Sorry.

I didn't mean to lie down on the keyboard.

Later.

No comments: