August 2, 2008

Rant and Rave

HOLY FLAMING MOSES!!! Is it too much to ask that the people in the school system have a lick of sense? They are, after all, responsible for the education of our children!!!!

When I went to the school Friday to drop off the first installment of supplies and equipment for Jared to start the school year on Aug. 6th, there was a musty, dusty, nasty sort of odor that I hoped was just the usual 'this room has been closed up all summer' smell.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The carpet was MOLDY and had delightful mildewed places all over it.

Now I am a semi-reasonable woman, but how could ANYONE believe this was okay to just rinse off and hope for the best???

Even if the children in the room were alleged to be normal, this isn't a good thing, people!!

Mold and mildew create all sorts of illnesses that are tough for healthy persons to cope with, but the children in Jared's class are handicapped both physically and mentally not to mention the various health issues that are a constant challenge to them on a daily basis.

Jared is an asthmatic. Anyone see a problem here? Mold plus asthma doesn't bode well for the final equation. Since he spends several days each year out of school with breathing issues up to and including hospitalization from time to time, this exposure cannot possibly be good.

I called the principal, I called the superintendent, I emailed the Special Needs liason person and I made sure I sent a copy of all of the emails to not only the above named people, but also to the classroom teacher. While she knows about this mess, she is powerless to do ANYTHING about it without going through the 'proper channels'.

I wonder how fast they'd move their collective asses if THEY had to deal with that kind of mess?

Sort of makes me want to go and remove the carpet myself and put it into THEIR offices. Bet they'd be angry and indignant. Good. Now they know how I feel.

I understand about money issues. But for the life of me I do not understand why we have the money to build athletic facilities but can't replace ONE DAMN ROOM of carpeting for the most fragile students in the school!!!

Yeah, I know. Stop swearing. I'm reasonably sure it will add one more coal to the fires of hell I will be roasting in soon. But I am angry that this doesn't seem to be a priority to them at all.

They can't plead total ignorance on this either. Jared's teacher told me she found out about it DAYS ago. Which means that the custodial and administrative staff knew about it before that.

I saw trucks there at the school Friday working on various building and construction and renovation projects. Yippee. So obviously money is being expended for work on the school. Somebody needs to pony up the cash to make this right. Their argument will be, of course, that they have 'plans' to build a NEW building for the handicapped students in the 0910 school year. Great. I'm all for that.

But what does that do for them NOW?!?!?!?! And what guarantees do we have, any of us, that their plans will actually come through. Plans can change and often do leaving the disabled kicked to the curb because 'they won't notice'.

Is it always wrong to do the right thing without permission? And are there times in which asking forgiveness for having done the right thing is preferable to waiting for the needed permissions that may simply never come because they are too busy scratching their indecisive asses?

Okay.

Take a deep breath.

Take another one because I am still mad.

Take a third breath.

Hell's bells! No amount of sucking in oxygen will make me less frustrated and upset over this one!

Grrrrrr!!

Time to call the teacher and see what, if anything, has been done from Friday's teacher's meetings.

I imagine they will say they have set aside a couple of bucks to shampoo the carpet.

I'll be willing to set aside a couple of bucks to BURN IT. I'll even provide the match and the kerosene. At least then they would HAVE to replace it.

But that would be evil and wrong. I should trust that the 'system' will care enough about these kids to do the right thing.

There's always a first time for everything.

No comments: