January 2, 2009

I am a Dog Person

I love all animals.

I love some more than others, that is simply a fact.

But when I think about all of the animals who have walked through a portion of my life, though I have enjoyed the company of a variety - dogs speak to my heart.

I love the soulful look in their deep eyes that look at me and attempt to reassure me through the times of my life where I'm not even sure I need the comfort - but they know.

The devoted companionship of a gentle soul that greets me as if I am the best thing in the day is a warm tribute to a very flawed person who lacks most of the skills that are socially useful or acceptable.

But to my dog, I am a hero simply by inviting her up onto the bed beside me for hugs and kisses before she goes to her sleeping spot at night.

She works herself into a virtual frenzy of sniffing and circling my legs when I have been out in the world without her to accompany me.

She knows when I come in with the groceries that I have bought her some and won't leave the kitchen until she sees her food safely placed into her cabinet.

My dog isn't just a dog. She is a friend who sits with me and listens heart to heart and knows how to make my day better.

She is able to be wildly and brilliantly excited about every single walk even though we follow the same paths. It's like everything is a blessing to her.

I need to be more like my dog.

I need to appreciate the people I love and be joyful at their coming, sad at their departure and ecstatic upon their return from even the shortest of errands.

I am a dog person because the dogs of the world love me without even knowing me. I don't know why this is my blessing. All I know is that I am thankful for the company.

No comments: