May 1, 2009

I'm A Fan

Although I am not generally slow on the uptake, today is just one of those days. I noticed while awaiting my next move on Facebook's Scrabble application that the right side of the screen was littered with invitations to 'join' a fan group for whatever the cause du jour happened to tout.

One particularly struck me as somewhat odd.

The headline boldly declared Become A Fan of Jesus.

Hmmm.

A fan.

The word itself doesn't add up to what I have in my heart and mind as a hopeful, but imperfect FOLLOWER of Jesus Christ. I don't want to just be a fan...I hope to someday be counted worthy as a friend.

Fan is an abbreviated rendering of the word 'fanatic'. To be fanatical about someone or something isn't a religious experience. We laugh and kid about football and NASCAR being the accepted religions south of the Mason-Dixon line, but the feelings of awe and reverence aren't generally widespread at the 50 yard line in Tuscaloosa or in a bump and run move leading up to the final lap at Darlington.

So how is being a FAN of Jesus applicable here? While I honor Him as my Savior and Redeemer, can I make Him and His Atonement be so common? How can I befriend Him if my actions are over the top and unworthy of His presence?

I can honestly say that I am a fan of many things:

Oreo cookies with dunking milk late in the evening with confidential chit chat about things that can only be discussed over the creamy white, lickable filling of a freshly opened Oreo.

I'm a fan of sitting out on a night filled with the glowing, yellowy embered lights of fireflies lighting up the darkness in a Morse code known only to them and God alone.

I'm a fan of common sense, which apparently isn't all that common anymore.

I'm a fan of teaching limits to children and adults so that their behaviors are a credit to them as individuals instead of a liability on society.

I'm a fan of old television programs that didn't assault the senses with vulgarity and profane speech that renders the ears and soul seared and wounded.

I'm a fan of laughter that bubbles up from a happy heart and soul to warm everyone who hears it.

I'm a fan of family and the joy that family brings regardless of the age or place.

I'm a fan of living life to its fullest, 'warts and all' as my Daddy says, because if you aren't putting all you have into this one go 'round, it's such a waste. Like the t-shirt proudly worn by a gal with whom Thomas participated in marching band: "GO BIG OR GO HOME!"

I'm a fan of friendship held closely, emotions felt deeply and hearts that are still open to chance despite bearing a few scars from not so pleasant encounters in life that have hurt enough to make us cautious.

I'm a fan.

Honestly, I believe that being a fan of something, anything, sort of puts a burden on us, too. If we really are a fan, there is a responsibility to act in a way that lets other people know how we feel, but I believe it is only worth it if how you act and feel is good.

Contrarily, it can be a weight that drags us down instead of a balloon of joy that can lift us up.

It all boils down to how that special 'energy' is spent. Where we place our allegiance and to what end we will achieve that energetic expenditure.

I believe we have to say what it is we are standing up for and show people why it is a good thing for us. Otherwise, it's misplaced fanaticism and that's nothing but trouble any way you spell it.

It's just not enough saying, "I'm a fan".

No comments: