June 13, 2010

The Loneliness of the Savior

While reading my lesson for church today, I was unsure which chapter we were on and sort of read some ahead or possibly behind the place where we might be today. I confess to sometimes being confused by the pocket calendar of lessons to be presented since it seems to be more of a suggestion than a reality.

As I was reading, there was a passage that talked about the process of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, not just that overly discussed segment in the Garden of Gethsemane and the segment of the agony of the cross, but specifically the part I have, up to this moment, apparently missed entirely.

The part where it says that God, the Father, withdrew from Jesus Christ so that he could fulfill the measure of the Atoning Sacrifice ALONE.

No help.

No support.

No comfort.

And no presence of His Father at all.

ALL ALONE.

In the deepest trial of His mortal life, the Savior of us all had to go through His trial at the very last ALL ALONE.

Why?

Tears began to flow down my face as I finally understood what I had missed all along.

Jesus Christ, who's atonement covers oh so much more than just sin, had to feel the absolute abandonment that we His Children feel when we are alone in our misery for whatever the cause.

And it was such a painful separation from the Father whom He talked with personally every single day. He begged for the cup to pass from Him, but ONLY if it was the will of the Father.

Even in His desperate and agonizing lonely separation from the strength of His Father and ours, He sought to be obedient no matter what.

It is more than I can fully comprehend...

No comments: