April 15, 2011

Emails for the gullible

Enough already with the dumb emails promising all kinds of things about not buying gasoline!!

If you don't buy gasoline this weekend, it just means you have to fill up Monday when the price may have gone up. The companies will not miss your $100 over the weekend because too many other people whipped in to fill up their cars, trucks and boats.

It doesn't "stick it to the man" or "show the big oil companies" anything. They KNOW you will just come crawling in later to feed the need for gasoline.

Unless you are TOTALLY prepared to live in a primitive fashion, then you aren't prepared to go without oil, gas and other petroleum products.

Think about it.

Bikes, wagons and walking.

EVERYWHERE.

Have an appointment in Huntsville or Birmingham? Pack a lunch or twelve and start hiking several days in advance.

Want to heat your home in the winter? Kiss that propane goodbye and learn to chop wood again.

Relatives live at a distance? Get that conestoga packed for the journey and hope a semi doesn't cut you down on I-15.

The truth is, we have become a commuter nation. We value our mobility and never developed the infrastructure of Europe for shared transportation. No real railroads and no real bus lines in our communities unless they are larger communities with metro rails either.

So we have a love affair with our automobiles going on daily.

We don't appear ready to break up with them either.

Unless we are prepared to be Amish, we don't really mind paying for gasoline for our vehicles no matter what day it is.

Enough with the dumb emails already.

You aren't going to stop buying gas and I'm not either.

2 comments:

Me: said...

Amen Sista! You need to do some shameless self-promotion on this one!!!

JT's Mommy said...

lol - you crack me up. My theory is that if I fill up when everyone else boycotts.... then I have the gas station to myself no wait at the pump, and I can go in and pay so I can get me a donut and pepsi. Oh wait.... I gave up Pepsi and am on a 1200 calori diet a day... but I can go in and buy a newspaper with no wait :)