December 20, 2011

Raindrops keep falling on my head

I'm seriously considering buying stock in umbrella companies. I'd make a killing.

Today, the phone rang and a command performance at the doctor's office is on the table for me tomorrow. Yippee.

Blood test results are in and they want to see me face to face to share what will not be happy news. Of this I am sure. Having worked in a doctor's office and making some of these calls myself to anxious patients I know that when the doctor calls, the news isn't good. They don't call and say "yippee, everything was great!". It's more like "Hmmm. Can you come in and discuss this."

I'm kind of at my breaking point right now. I'm planning to show up at the doctor's office in my workout clothing because I am going to the gym regardless of what results they share. I'll either celebrate the good news or pump iron and do crunches to the bad with a loud blast of music from the headphones in my bag.

Whatever the news is, I'm afraid to hear. It is sure to be a life-altering moment no matter what is pronounced. How do it get through this?

People are praying. Lots of people.

And Beth came over so we could cry together - she over the loss of EZ and missing his ever-ready presence in her life and me over news that could well terrify me to death if the malady isn't enough to do it.

Sometimes trying to see past your own issues to help someone deal with their own is a blessing. Right now, I need all the blessings I can get. Trying to sort out my emotions about all of my issues is getting to be a bellyful. I'd rather do my best to try to comfort Beth for all of her hurting in the absence of her wonderful puppy and friend. It reminds me so much about my own feelings of loss, hurt and emptiness when my beloved Smokey died. It's a wound that just aches.  Time helps, but there will forever be a paw print stamped upon my heart from Smokey. It is no different for Beth. Even if you accept a new furry friend into your life, it will never be the friend who has gone on before.

I hope I help her to feel better. Sometimes I fear that my own minor crises in life are overshadowing the greater burdens of a larger world than my own.

Is there any of this that makes any sense?

Not sure... not sure at all sometimes. God knows the sense in all of this. And upon His understanding and strength I must depend.


No comments: