July 17, 2012

It's All Good

Test results came back just fine.

I get a reprieve from dancing with the grim reaper for the time being.

While it is true that we all have a time appointed to be born and a time appointed in which we will die, I wasn't quite ready for the long dirt nap.

Others might have been, but in the interest of self preservation, I did not conduct a comprehensive poll for relevant data. I would fear they would expect some sort of personal sacrifice should I discover that I had been voted most likely to fill a slot at Valhalla Memory Gardens.

Due to the fact that I now feel like I'm not sitting on a coal of fire fidgeting out the results anymore, it's almost like I can fly. ♪♫ I believe I can fly! ♫♪ While I promise not to make the attempt from the roof of the nearest barn with a London Fog umbrella, I will hang on to the feeling that a new day of promise means another chance to get things right.

While discussing the personal peccadillos (or little sins) of myself and others, I found myself grateful for a bit more time to sort out the fact that one day an accounting must be made of how I have spent my mortal sojourn on this third rock from the sun. Struggling as I do with being all to mortal and overly flawed, there are days in which I wonder if my peccadillos are not so little and they are overwhelming me.

Everyone struggles. There are no free passes. I get that because I am well-read. However, some people possess a quiet grace and dignity in the face of soul crushing turmoil which I am quite certain I would be unable to bear, even for a few moments. I can't say I admire them, because that seems such a petty word when you are speaking of someone who has developed a sense of the Divine in their daily walk.

Instead, I think that I am humbled by the stalwart example I see in those who appear to have their world crumbling around them, yet have an oasis of peace through Jesus Christ granted to them. It isn't without a price. Seeing the burdens they carry day to day makes me thankful for the blessing of another day to learn how to become more like them and through that becoming to be more like my Savior.

Political stuff has been irking me lately. I think the reason is because we mere mortals are so far from the Savior when it comes to the mudslinging fray of politics that I'm sure the heavens weep over our hubris, arrogance, pride and self-serving nature. He never descended to this kind of behavior. Instead, Jesus quietly did what the law commanded so long as it was not in conflict with those commandments of God that supersede all else.

Today's politicians and the party faithful seem to forget that at the heart of all that we do, above all else, we are supposed to be a family. An American family that loves their nation, their people and their honor above themselves. Lately, the milk of human kindness is not only absent from the evidence in public discourse, we appear to have slaughtered the cow from whence it sprang.

I want to get back to the days where people genuinely cared about their neighbor in tangible ways. Where being part of the great American experiment was the grandest opportunity on the face of the whole world. A time where it was all good because we worked to make it so through the tough times. Now, it seems as if people are willing to settle for so much bad news that there is an appetite for the sensational above that of the substantial.

Kinda sad, really. We are taking nothing for something and smiling as if it's all good. But it's not.

Like the cry of "All is well!" that came from the lips of the town criers back in the day, our evening news heralds both good and bad. I wish someone would be bright enough to realize that the more good things you report about the more good things that will occur? Everyone wants to be recognized in life. How wonderful would it be if all of that recognition was for doing GOOD things??

The power of love can make all change possible to him who believes!

Laundry calls me again. I must ponder as I fold. A new day means both the old priorities and whatever new ones come to mind must be examined and sorted. Just like a batch of sox, some will be set aside because there is nothing to go with them. Nothing to make them useful. Nothing to make them work.

Then, other ideas will bloom into fruition in ways that are both unexpected and miraculous.

Another day... another chance.... it's all good.

No comments: