June 22, 2013

Adding up to a marathon

I have been building up the distances I walk. Yesterday, over two sessions, I walked a mile and 3/10ths.

This morning, I am happy to say that I was able, with the addition of a couple of breaks for breathers and a stretch or two, to complete a FULL MILE in one session. It took me 30 minutes.

Yeah me!

While I know that isn't a big deal to some people, it means the world to me. It means that prayers are being answered and that God is paying attention to little old me. It means that I matter.

I intend to do more in the second session after supper tonight. I figure cumulative totals add up and help the process along.

I'm trying my best to get to the place I was before where a 6 mile walk was no big deal.

This truly isn't about time for me.

It is all about finishing.

I don't care if I am last, so long as I cross the finish line goals that I set for myself incrementally over time.

This has been a setback to be sure, but it need not be a roadblock unless I allow it to be. And since I am well known for hiking over fences, slipping beyond "DO NOT ENTER" signs and worming my way into "UNAUTHORIZED AREAS" without much shame, I do not intend to let this hiccup in the journey become final OR fatal.

God has preserved me for a purpose and I intend to find out how He wants to use my life to His service.

In the meantime, I'll just keep singing that Tim McGraw song "How Bad Do You Want It" and putting one foot in front of the other.

No comments: