March 6, 2014

Laughing Through the Tears

As per my usual, I went over to see Daddy after Jared got off on the bus to school and Rick was off to take a final exam.

Daddy was confused about circumstances but knew what he did and didn't want. And he wanted a sump pump.

In his mind there was an acid spill that needed cleaning. I'm sure at one point in his business career at the plant there must have been such an occurrence that had to be dealt with and handled with dispatch and caution.

But today, the "acid spill" was apparently in his room and had something to do with urine flow in his Foley tube. He was certain that we needed to adjust the tubes, attach a sump pump, create a system of reservoirs to catch and contain all the acid to be diluted then washed away.

Chris, the tech who works with him, patiently explained that he was going to "handle it all when he got him up into a chair". Daddy seemed to be placated by that much more than by anything I had tried to do for him for the hour previously.

Yesterday, the nurse came in while Daddy was having PT and was asking me about food Daddy likes so they could help him increase his nutritional intake. At this point, Daddy's eating habits are pretty much catch as catch can with it being mostly catching only a little bit.

So as he was in progress of having PT, the nurse comes up to me and was asking what kinds of things Daddy liked to eat. I told her "Bacon and ice cream." She laughed and said, "No, really." And I said, "Yes, really."

So when a break in the PT came, she leaned in close and asked Daddy what he liked to eat.

He smiled with his eyes closed and said "Bacon... and ice cream!"

She looked dumbfounded and I about slid out of my chair laughing.


These little forays into the mix and match moments of past reality, current circumstance and dementia make me feel both sad for what is no longer possible and sometimes filled with laughter over the little oddities that happen in the interactions that just don't seem to make sense to Daddy anymore.

While some things are funny, other times tears are too close to the surface to stem their tide. Late in the afternoon yesterday, one of my friends shared a video that covers it all very neatly. It is a truly emotional little movie that made everything come full circle for me. A Letter From Mom and Dad 

I hope that it will put things into perspective for any who view it.

God bless. Laugh when you can, cry when you should and remember that those frail hands need your strong ones to lift and support them now.

No comments: