March 14, 2014

Perry Mason, travel dreams and vocal exercises

I don't sleep a lot at night. Pain management issues being what they are it is catch as catch can for sleep most of the time. So if you find me napping at an odd time and likely in an odd position, that is why.

Jared felt like I didn't need much sleep and got me up from my bed way too early by yelling. Yep. Yelling. No reason. Just yelling.

Convincing this grown man that others are still sleeping or hoping to sleep or just lying in a darkened room to attempt to sleep matters nothing to him. He is up so everyone else should be up to attend to whatever he may or may not decide he needs.

During what sleep I was able to get, I had a dream that would have made the art of Salvador Dali feel right at home. Black and white melted into color that melted into fuzzy blends of black, white, Technicolor and shades of gray. Hollywood has nothing on the palette of my imagination.

Perry Mason was in my dream along with Elliot Ness and the Untouchables while I was traveling as a spy/teacher in South America. Naturally, as the climate there was much warmer than the 30 degrees we currently have, I tossed my blankets off and then got cold where the dream abruptly shifted to Russian ambiance and temperature.

As Jared started to make his vocal exercises louder, I realized I had no choice but to get up and stay up out of my nocturnal roost.

The dream didn't make sense while I was dreaming it and it makes much less sense now that I am up and moving. It was a regurgitated mismatch of television programs and odd desires to travel to foreign lands that I have always felt.

Supposing that one of the main reasons that I dream weird stuff is the brain doing its own exercises, I try not to read too much into these odd thoughts. The only time it is otherwise is when I have nightmares. Then I don't want to read them at all. I just want to forget them.

Being jarred into consciousness by the very loud noises a grown man can create is not soothing to the psyche that has already been tossed around in various scenarios in the dream state.

Now that everyone is up an hour and a half later, Jared is very quiet in his exclamations. I'm sure part of that alleged quiet is because the world is waking up and muffling the volume of his sounds. When everything is still and dark, sound is amplified and so is the irritation caused by the sound.

Maybe I can get some rest later. But the "To Do" list on my desk suggests that it will not be until later in the day if then.

God bless the insomniacs. I fear I am their leader.

No comments: