July 3, 2007

But It's a Bargain . . .

Common sense dictates most of the purchases that go on in our household.

After all is said and done, the fact remains that there is only so much money in the pot and all to often more bills than can be paid just by the sheer effort of daily living.

So why is it that when we get 'an offer too good to refuse', we casually consider the purchase of an item that would simply have never registered on our financial radar screen mere moments before the 'bargain price' was introduced?

What is it about these spurrious pricing guides that makes otherwise unattractive items seem like a veritable catalog of 'necessary' purchases for the successful completion of daily life on planet Earth?

Do we really need a blanket with dolphins for $7.47 marked down from $14.99? Consider the fact that our closet has plenty of blankets and more to spare. More especially so since we do not live anywhere near the Artic Circle.

And is my life going to be made whole, complete and useful if I whip out the plastic and bring home a combination birdhouse and feeder that resembles the Tower of Pisa, tilt and all?

I don't doubt for an instant that the purveyers of these items of dubious use will certainly come off the beneficiaries of my impulse purchases. But what do I get out of the deal, other than an addition to the already enormous balance on my charge card?

Even as I sit here decrying the use of these hawkers of uncertain wares, I confess that the little set of battery powered button lights for use in dark closets would be useful in my hall closets where no lights exist.

Please, somebody stop me now.

It has to be an addiction to shopping, even when the price and the product really aren't a bargain.

No comments: