August 19, 2007

Birthdays, indeed

Well, it would be in extremely poor taste for me to rant about feeling old and then not mention all of the ways my family and friends lavished gifts and their love upon me to make me feel both loved and young.

Because of an association for parents of high school band students, I have had the great good fortune of having some wonderful women in my life. They came by the house Friday and brought the traditional black balloons for the 'elderly' and a bouquet of flowers. There was also a stuffed horses' head - if you haven't seen the Godfather, it would take to long to explain.

Suffice it to say, these women and myself comprised the 'band mafia' that made the kids toe the line as surely as if we had taken the gun and left the canolli. We call ourselves "The Family" and gave ourselves familiar mafia names and job descriptions.

When I saw them at the door with smiling faces and bearing gifts, it really made my afternoon.

My best friend showed up as well turning the event into a real party atmosphere. She brought an iPod for my exercise music to go on and I delightedly began to learn how to use it (technologically savvy I am not).

Between Friday and Saturday I have had so many cards, emails and well wishers that I remember now why I never have considered myself old.

Remind me the next time I start whining that I am blessed beyond measure. Sometimes I forget.

No comments: