September 1, 2007

Saturday

Oh, the sounds and sights of this time of year!

Football is in the air, the wonderful SEC is back in action and my favorite team will have the chance at redemption with a perfect record beginning today.

High school football also begins today. Sure, other teams in the area have flung their champions on the field including my youngest sons' alma mater. Frankly, though they whomped the everloving snot out of a bitter cross county rival, I am less moved than his classmates are.

MY alma mater plays tonight. That, for me, heralds fall's arrival. Without the "Fight Song" and the percussive beat of the band whipping the crowd into a frenzy, it's just football.

There is a zeal that comes when the gladitorial spectacle begins and the bashing of live warm bodies thuds into the carefully manicured turf.

We are scheduled to see the game tonight. The opposing band will get plenty of our applause since I have two nieces and a nephew who are members. And since this is a banner year for my nephew (he has a SOLO at the beginning of the show), we will be whooping it up in the stands like fools for his success.

But in all sincerity, I hope my Eagles beat the everloving snot out of their Indians. I am biased. I can't help it. I bleed Black & Gold.

But then later tonight, I have to shift gears and change out the blood for the Crimson and White. ROLL TIDE, ROLL!

It isn't a tough transition. It is an affliction. God bless my poor longsuffering husband who married a fanatic. Every fall, his wife disappears and is replaced by someone who armchair quarterbacks her way through each game and who lives and dies by the final score when the horn sounds.

He knew I was a fan since we attended the same college and were both in the band. If he was ever embarrassed by my antics in the stands, he never let on.

Here's hoping that everyone has a good season, except for Notre Dame and Auburn. I hope they lose every single game. Even if they play each other.

No comments: