January 28, 2008

The Passing of a Friend

Though my contact with President Gordon Bitner Hinckley can't be described as a chummy relationship, I have seen him mere feet from me at the dedication of the Temple in Birmingham.

The warmth of his personality and the light from his soul radiated around him like rippes in a pond. Everyone could feel it before he even could be seen.

Last night, surrounded by his family, President Hinckley left this mortal life and entered through the veil into the presence of God and Jesus Christ.

That he was well received by family, friends and the Father and Son I have no doubt. President Hinckley spent his life trying to be like Jesus and doing a pretty good job of it, to boot.

While we will miss him and his influence, the Lord is at the helm of the Church and the next man to fill the role of Prophet will do so under that same direction and counsel as every prophet in every dispensation of time has experienced.

I am thankful to have had the influence of President Hinckley in my life. It has made a huge difference.

No comments: