January 17, 2008

Scrooge

Watching the movie "A Christmas Carol" tonight, I have been in somewhat of a melancholy mood.

Each time I see it, although my life isn't identical, I do see moments that match my life.

The sad truth is that for those venal moments in my own life that make me more Scrooge than Cratchit, I am filled with a sense of sorrow and at times a sense of impending doom.

I do believe that we can change and make amends, but I also believe that simply desiring to do something differently in my life doesn't remove the consequences of what I might have done.

Intentions are also at issue since more likely than not, the predicaments and circumstances of my life are not intentionally chosen to inflict pain towards others and within others. But even if the consequences that occur are not intended, the pain of another is still very real.

Perhaps within us all is an ongoing struggle between that which we are, which sorrowfully is sometimes more Scrooge-like than we want to admit, and that which we desire most fervently to become, which is an innocence that possesses Bob Cratchet who firmly believes that there truly is good in his boss who is close to losing the chance at redemption.

Just some stuff I was thinking while watching the movie. . .

No comments: