April 17, 2008

The Inward Vessel

Do ye suppose that God will look upon you as guiltless while ye sit still and behold these things? Behold I say unto you, Nay. Now I would that ye should remember that God has said that the inward vessel shall be cleansed first, and then shall the outer vessel be cleansed also. (Book of Mormon Alma 60:23)

As I have been pondering upon the meaning of this passage as it relates to my day to day, it reminds me of something my Momma said quite a bit during my growing up years. "Sweep around your own doorstep first before you start criticizing about the need of sweeping at someone else's door!"

Why is it infinitely much more comfortable to point out the clutter in the life of someone else than to spend the earnest effort in clearing away the cobwebs and dust of our own?

I fully realize that part of the conditions of mortality involve the striving to overcome self and the natural man through the diligent application of the Word of God. It will sometimes hurt to go through this process since most of the time, it is SO much easier to see where SOMEONE ELSE must change rather than casting that all searching glance in my own direction.

It doesn't seem like much progress is being made on that front.

Without realizing it until the burden is relieved that I have been carrying mountainous heaps of burden (whether intentional or otherwise), it seems that the emphasis on what I should be doing is obscured by the clouds of unrighteous intention in the direction of other people. I didn't intend it to be that way, but it is, nevertheless, a factor in my mortal journey that makes me at once both uncomfortable and ashamed.

As a vessel, I am neither clean on the outside nor, more importantly, on the inside. And when it comes to the All-Searching Eye of Him who's creation I am - there is a certitude that it is what He sees in the inner vessel that matters the most.

There are times, be it individuals, groups, or nations, in which that honest appraisal of the inward doings and inward beliefs becomes more important that any other single activity.

Without the introspection and sincere thought upon what I can and should be doing to make my life, the life of my family and the quality of the Spirit which I am willing to allow to pass into my home and heart undiluted , there is no real progress.

It's like walking on a treadmill. While "something" is happening, it may not be the right something that can make all the difference in the way my life turns out and how that turning affects those both close to me and those who are simply watching to see what I might do as a self-proclaimed witness of Jesus Christ.

If what they see on the outside doesn't mirror what goes on within, then the term hypocrite most certainly applies.

Likewise, if I can be counted honorable in my deeds during all activities, then it should also be worth noting.

Reality seems to be more willing to take notes at those times when I am less than at my best. Is that fair? Daddy always said 'there ain't no such thing as fair'.

So, as I continue the chores around my house, I am compelled to realize that the reflection of my life is mirrored in the only measure available to mortal man - the outward appearance. While God may indeed understand the quantity of my heart, He cannot possibly look with favor upon the quality of heart when I do not willingly offer Him a cleansed inward vessel.

Just a few thoughts while I begin dusting the house . . .

No comments: