May 25, 2008

Music soothes the savage beast

Having been plagued with nightmares of a most horrendous variety for most of my life, there have been some stretches of time where sleep was a vague memory. Night after night, the terror comes and even awake, the dreams bring frightening emotions and feelings that are persistent and feel very real. A constant in all of these episodes is a feeling of impending doom and dread that is as difficult to shake as anything I have ever known.

But, when those times come, I can get a relief and release from the grip of the terror in only a couple of ways.

While I pour my heart and soul out in my prayers, I reach for my scriptures and for my music. They are the only solace for the agony.

I have been directly counseled to do just those two things when the night terrors come. They provide a source of comfort that none else can.

And the blessing of having a worthy priesthood holder in the home who can help me sort through the madness is something I cannot underestimate. No matter what time of the day or night, Rick is willing to help me and share his and the Lord's strength with me at a moment of total weakness and helplessness.

It is a true saying that music soothes the savage beast. While some sayings are just that and full of mostly hot air, this one is right on target as it not only soothes the beast, it removes it.

How thankful I am that a loving and kind Father in Heaven provided solace and calm in the simple melodies and harmonies that can bring peace through the storm!

I remember reading a sign on a billboard by a little country church that I pass on the way to Jared's school now and again. It read "Stop telling your God how big the storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

The simplicity and truth of the statement isn't lost on me.

On those nights when I have nothing left but the tiny flame of hope to cling to, I reach out to the One who can and will make it possible to survive the night.

Then, the beast recedes, the peace and calm are restored and the living presence of an all wise and caring Father and His Merciful Son come and bring a lightness that defies all human understanding. It is a blessing that I ardently seek in those scary hours when the night seems so very dark and long.

Through the inspiration of the scriptures words and the gentle whispering of the Holy Spirit in the music, there is peace and the soothing calm brought by the touch of the Master's hand on a troubled sea of emotional turmoil.

I know I have far more doubts in my life than I should. I can't always claim to act faithfully. I know that Father is willing to reach out to me even when I don't always reach out to take His hand. But in the times that I do, something akin to miraculous occurs. The things that seem so very troubling in the shadows of the night are swallowed up in the glorious light of His truth.

He is in charge.

HE IS IN CHARGE.

And with that, the peace and calm are brought near and the music echoes His promises made in the Holy Scriptures that He will always love and care for us as His Children.

No comments: