October 31, 2008

All Hallow's Eve

Few people today realize that All Hallow's Eve precedes All Saint's Day as a religious day.

Now, the day is about spooky sights, goblins and candy in abundance.

I remember when I was a child, while the decor was decidedly 'tingly', it lack the menace that seems to occupy most set ups today.

When did it become okay to be so violent, abusive and downright sick?

I also remember the caramel apples studded with chopped nuts and the popcorn balls as big as a blue dot softball. The bobbing for apples, the 'witch's brew punch', the fog machines and the dry ice.

I remember the little plastic halloween masks that had the precut holes for eyes and nostrils with a mere slit for the mouth that never quite lined up to any of your own features.

I remember neighbors pretending not to know you and handing you enough treats to give you a belly ache.

I remember the fun and the feeling of excitement.

Now, it just doesn't seem safe.

Halloween has been taken over by people who seem to be lost. To combat this trend, there are lots of people who go to events hosted by various churches and civic groups. You can let the kids eat the food, because you know the people who brought it.

I want the days of a simpler life as a child to return. I don't want to think about everything that is no more.

I want to think about little pumpkins filled with goodies and the fun that used to be part of the night.

and I want to have my thoughts filled with those last caramel coated bites of apple before bedtime.

Happy All Hallow's Eve.

No comments: