November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving
















Thanksgiving – a wonderful time of family, food and fun. And a cheese ball.

It didn’t start out to be more than party food. But it morphed into something much larger than just a mere cheese ball. And to think some people don’t believe in evolution!

It was a nut studded port wine creation, which began the day as part of a cheese platter. It was well received, but at the end of the long day of feasting and merry making, it stood as a lonely sentinel of food not consumed.

After all, you can’t eat everything and still stay in training for 5k’s.

But then, what to do with the cheese ball?

We talked about slipping it into an envelope to send to the poor. But we can’t send it to the poor because the poor don’t want it. My one brother in law pointed out that the poor might squeeze the cheese in order to get at the port wine it contained.

And although it would be funny to see just how far it would travel from the swift stroke of a 3 wood, it might make for some off comments when the neighbors found the remnants perched in their tree or along their fence line. I swear we were aiming for the green but you see I have this bad habit of hooking . . .

Then again, the thoughts of tossing it carefully into mailboxes seemed amusing until we remembered that another brother in law is a police officer and would most assuredly shoot us for vandalizing the neighborhood with flying cheese. That, and the risk of offering a controlled substance to minors who might come in contact with the port wine flavored cheese might make for some interesting headlines in the local paper.

My niece and I discussed the possibility of sliding it under the passenger’s seat of my sister’s car with an open can of sardines, but we didn’t have the sardines. It sort of cast a pall on the plan.

Instead, the hapless cheese ball was unceremoniously dumped into an empty box from which Saran wrap had once dispensed. After more hilarity, the plot finally coalesced.

We opened the carry out cooler my sister had brought and stuffed the box containing the cheese ball into her cooler. To quote her words exactly when she discovered it: “I swear! I can’t leave you two alone for two minutes!!”

But she was laughing as hard as we were when we slipped it in her cooler. So now, I am waiting for the comeuppance. I know it is coming. It’s only a matter of time and the purchase of some disgusting food item away.

Isn’t fruitcake season about to come up…?

As a parting shot, my sister called and said, "Tell Devil and Devilish (meaning me and my other sister) I'm thinking of wrapping up the cheeseball and bringing it at Christmas..."

I think this may be worse than the fruitcake.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

I only have one thing to say...


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!