June 22, 2011

Naps wanted

Nightime is alleged to be sleep time. The television is filled with advertising for products that are guaranteed to give us a good night's rest that promise to be non-habit forming and non-addictive.

Naps will fill this role pretty well for me right now.

Tossing and turning and rolling around trying to find a position of relative comfort for sleeping is an exercise in nocturnal futility. Even my sweet baby dog Gypsy has baggy eyes. As my constant companion, she feels honor bound to stay by my side throughout this process and as a result, her normal 20+ hour a day sleep routine is being interrupted because I'm not sleeping.

She looks up at me in the twilight glow of the bathroom bulb through the crack in the door as if to say, "Can't we just make three turns and curl up for the entire night? Must you disturb my rest?"

Trust me, little girl, I would sleep if I could sleep. Sadly, sleep is a catch as catch can proposition right now.

Casts are not fun and they are not for the faint of heart. I'd love to sedate and cast up a few people who think this is just a hilarious moment. Then we'd all see how funny it was for them to be a prisoner of circumstance, even when that circumstance is supposed to result in an improvement down the road.

Patience is a virtue. I've heard that all my life.

But I'm not too good at the skill and virtue of patience. My time-to-time microwave mentality makes that a tough sell. I WANT to be patient. I just am not.

I had my surgery just over 2+ weeks ago and have entered the third week of the endurance phase of the recovery process. I'm trying to tell myself that I am doing well. Yesterday, I felt a little stir crazy, but in the haze of all of this, I'm becoming uncertain if stir crazy and regular crazy are not getting muddled in the middle.

Is there a difference? Probably a fine line between the two, but I've jumped the fence and gone loco, I'm certain.

Trying to be careful to not put any pressure at all on one leg and foot is harder than it looks. Trying to keep from slipping while doing this is also harder than it looks. And if I happen to slip, it might look comical, but it doesn't feel to funny when I hit the ground.

There are some benighted souls who think it's hilarious to make fun of all of this.

Because I try to be compassionate, I hope they NEVER have to deal with anything like unto this. It's not a barrel of monkeys and no one has a good time having to accomodate their lives around a person who is personally and socially inconvenienced by it all.

Sadly, the tiresome and wearing effects of being so incapacitated make me feel like I need a nap all the time. It also makes me feel so very tender toward Jared, who never gets a break from his disability issues. How draining it must be for him to always have the 24 hour presence of his incapacity bearing down upon him!

No wonder he takes naps whenever and wherever he can!

Time to kick back in the office chair and prop up the ol' leggy bones and see if I can catch a few winks before Jared's bath aide comes to help him get sorted out this morning.

Nighty-night... even if it is broad daylight.

1 comment:

Me: said...

BENADRYL! That and enough Swiss cake rolls for a good sugar hangover :) Hang in there girl. ♥