May 19, 2014

Fog, cold and Jared

Woke up feeling cold and looked out to see a nice blanket of fog enveloping the area.  Cold, wet fog.  Not my favorite thing.  It definitely won't be added to the verses of the Julie Andrews song about those things considered to be favorites.

Jared seemed happy to be going back to school today.  Only seven more school days left for the handsome prince and then, barring a surprise from the Birdie Thornton Center, Jared will be home with me 24/7.  I'll have to figure out how to do outdoor exercises with him.  Fortunately, there are sidewalks in a lot of the places I walk, so I should be able to push Jared in his wheelchair to get some outside mileage done in due season.

Today we wouldn't have gone out anyway at least not in the morning with the fog being so overwhelmingly thick and cold.  People do not pay enough attention in the fog and I'd hate to become a bump in the road for someone who was careless.  Too much risk for Jared to try it.

I'm hoping to have Rick get him up into his wheelchair each morning with the lift sling beneath Jared so that I can get in my exercise and help Jared with some morning routine work at his desk. It will be a change for both of us indeed.

There are concerns for me as I worry about being enough for him. Strong enough, able enough and smart enough to encourage him to reach for his potential. I worry about having the energy to help Jared focus without the intensity of his school schedule to help him cope with the long hours in the day that need to be filled.

Truly, I don't know how all of this will play out.

But I know that I love Jared and will try to help him become and grow and develop as best as I can.

In his bag of diapers sent to the school today was a note asking for his absence to be excused. It won't likely be accepted and we will likely receive another notice of truancy for him in the mail. Who cares? He is over 21 years old and there really isn't anything they can do about it that will make a difference for him if they send us to court.

I'll just bring him along and ask them how they might consider offering Jared the best possible circumstances that life can bring to him in his limited condition. I'd be delighted to hear their responses because likely none of them have had to even give a moments pause to how they would function for and in behalf of a loved one who is so sharply constrained by mortal strictures as to be totally dependent on everyone else for the care and upkeep needed.

Hopefully, we can end this last seven days of his academic career without too many tears and difficulties.

All I know is that I want Jared to be happy at home or, in the event there is an opening at Birdie Thornton, for him to enjoy his time there.

No comments: