September 18, 2007

The Big Day

4 a.m. came awfully early this morning.

But, with the alarm came the crashing reality of just what time it has become. To be sure seeing the reality of my son walking down that long hallway beyond the security boundary at the airport and out of reach brought more than a few tears.

And, knowing that he will be gone for the duration of his two year mission is both overwhelming and somewhat humbling. He is ready and I will get used to it.

He has passed from a little boy into a man and I must have missed it somewhere along the way. It isn't like I didn't see him growing past the six foot mark or emptying out my refrigerator with wild abandon a mere 30 minutes before dinner only to sit down and eat a full meal to satiate the 'hollow leg' that miraculously needed filling.

What did miss my notice was the fact that this tall, handsome and respectful young man with impeccable manners was more than ready to leap out into the broader world. (and yes, he DOES reserve his belching competition for mostly family and friends events - but he will be willing to trot it out if needed overseas!) I have tried hard to give him the room to make his share of successful attempts and mistakes while being supportive enough to cushion the fall from time to time.

He has become self confident and capable and willing to work. I am filled with an immeasurable sense of pride in who he has become, more in spite of me than because of me, and I am both pleased and humbled to say "Yes, that's my son" when people ask about my young man.

We were all a little damp around the eyes this morning as we said some goodbyes.

However, seeing his confident and purposeful stride as he took steps two at a time to board the plane left me a feeling of peace that let me know that he will be just fine - even if I am not personally there to see it.

No comments: