September 21, 2007

Reading Recipe files

Based on the foods that I have been visually feasting on and digitally drooling over on various recipe sites of late, I have come to the conclusion that I am feeding my family high priced dog food.

Before you draw the wrong conclusions here, I have to tell you that I really DO know how to cook the fancy-shmancy dishes that adorn these websites in glorious detail. What I lack is the budget.

When you are desperately trying to keep the bills paid somewhere near on time and make sure you are doing your best to live adjacent to your means if not within them, then you don't have the money to splurge on food from the four quarters of the earth when Hamburger Helper is on sale for 89 cents a box.

So many of the recipes on the Internet are simply too much for the average person to complete without taking out a second mortgage or selling a kidney.

Which is why the Pioneer Woman has inspired me. Her cooking site is a delicious wonder that brings good, old fashioned, stick to your ribs cooking back into the kitchen. (She does have some chick food there too, ladies, so don't panic!)

Being married to a western man who believe meat and potatoes are the essentials of good eating, it took me years of cooking to get him to eat food that wasn't brown, white or yellow (corn on the cob).

Most gals have a hankering now and again for a nice steak, but the rest of the time, we prefer food that doesn't slow us down in our ability to chase whomever the offender is for the latest graffiti that has adorned the hall wall that was painted just last summer.

Within the cooking site is an array of food cooked splendidly from ingredients that the average Jane can actually afford and from which a dinner that the average Joe will actually eat can be prepared.

Here's the link just in case you are craving something more manly than microwave.
http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/

I am fully aware the link exists on the side. However, if you are as confirmed a lazy bum as I am, you require a nudge to click on something unfamliar.

Enjoy!

No comments: