September 8, 2007

Birthdays & big dinners

Growing old is not optional but growing up is. I have decided for purposes of driving the entire world loony that I refuse to grow up.

I am truly blessed to have friends who tolerate (for the most part) my idiosyncrasies and put up with the abberant behavior that is the hallmark of my life. I had the chance tonight to celebrate, albeit belatedly, my birthday and the birthday of my friend, Beth. We chose to dine out because frankly, food always tastes better when you aren't the one standing over the hot stove to prepare it.

The food is only part of the evening. Sharing time together is always good for my soul. Though we are seldom able to actually get together during the month our birthdays actually occur, it is always a celebration to catch up on the lives we lead during the year that passes between our birthday dinners.

They say confession is good for the soul and I confess willingly that I ate too much and enjoyed every single mouthful of it. And, given the chance, I'd do it all over again just to spend the time with Beth catching up on life in general.

She has the kind of laugh that makes you want to join in just because it makes you feel good. Blessed with a quick and wicked wit, conversations with her make the time well spent indeed.

Although the time is always too short, it is always most appreciated by me, at least. Because I know myself all to well, I do tend to wonder if I am more of a chore than a blessing to those who must wade through life with me in their address book.

All I know is that the opportunity to have a good meal, good companionship and excellent conversation makes every day a celebration worthy of cake and ice cream.

Did I mention that the cake was chocolate with chocolate and caramel syrup decorating the plate?

No comments: