May 10, 2008

All that and a bag of chips

In reading the lesson for Sunday School tomorrow, there is a question in the text that asks simply: "Why do you think King Benjamin emphasized his people's 'nothingness' and unworthiness?"

As I read the background scriptures in Mosiah 3-5, the understanding of just how dependent we are on our Father in Heaven really came to bear in a way that was both tender and somewhat unexpected.

The reason that King Benjamin made that underlined emphasis to his people is the same reason that we have the account of his words for our own day.

Though I cannot speak for other people, I can speak for myself and tattle on me with total impunity. When I do something good or have a successful day, I tend to forget who made it possible - and I'll give you a really big hint - it WASN'T me.

And worse yet, when those who (for reasons best left to their own explanations) show me love and care in both tangible and intangible ways, I am not as grateful and demonstrative of that gratitude as I could and should be.

That is sort of a double slap because it ignores their contribution to my life and well-being and that care of My Father who sent them into my life.

Talk about a rude, selfish, and self-absorbed brat!

I have to wonder why God would even grant me any oxygen.

Perhaps that same lack of understanding existed for the people in King Benjamin's day. They got busy with what they wanted and thought was best and forgot to remember that EVERYTHING they have was granted to them by a loving Father who sent people into their lives to help them through it all.

I was at an LDS girls camp a few years back and one of the brats on campus had a T-shirt that said "It's all about ME!". I can say this kid was a brat because it is true. (Thankfully, she grew up, matured and is a nice young lady now.) Since I also have a penchant for shirts with tacky sayings on them, I recognized what I hoped was humor not a personal lifestyle choice statement.

Back to the ME statement, I was working on a lesson and some back notes for a class I was asked to teach sometime next month. That statement of ME-ness sort of smacked me in the face since the lesson is about service.

Without care for our fellow inhabitants of this planet, there isn't any reason for us to pretend. We can't know our Father and His Son if we don't bother to know their children.

Ouch.

So on those days that bring me to my knees to humbly beg for one more chance in my flawed and painfully selfish life, I ask to have some of Father's understanding that I am NOT all that and a bag of chips and that life truly isn't all about me.

The tender message came back that I am loved and that while I am struggling to find my way there is something that will help.

"It's all about THEE!"

When I put My Father first and remain open for His promptings, I can be forgiven for all that I fall short on and He can help me to overcome the 'natural' tendencies that keep me in hot water instead of drinking from the waters of everlasting life.

King Benjamin wasn't trying to throw a 'guilt trip' on his people hoping for temporary change. He was sharing the message that he had learned the source of TRUE and lasting happiness by finding that he wasn't the only one on the planet and that other people had needs.

We can't ignore the pleading and needs of others and expect to have the Father to continually make our lives all special and wonderful forever with no effort.

Though I know what to do, I know that I fall short. I NEED HIM!!

So how do I reconcile my need of Him with someone else's need of me or of my need for someone else to bless my life with their love and care?

It's a work in progress...

No comments: